Monday, May 10, 2010

Mindfulness and Meditation...And Minus the Salt

I am trying out a very low sodium diet. I had been adding salt to most of my meals to enhance the flavor but I think that could be contributing to some of the problems, so I am backing out on my salt intake as much as I can to see if it helps. I have read that the estimated sodium level that we need per day is about 500mg a day (about 1/4 tsp salt or 1/2 cup soup broth) and the average American consumes on average between 2172-4126mg a day. Sodium is necessary for your body to function but too much of it can cause problems. My plan is to use about 1/4 tsp salt a day and keep it to that if I can (realistically some days might be higher than others.) Sodium can be found in many many processed foods. Fortunately, I don't eat too many of those kinds of foods but I still need to be careful.

I have been increasing the amounts of herbs and spices when I cook. My basil, thai basil, chives, and collard greens are still doing well and all I have to do is pick some leaves off when I am cooking and add them into my meal.

On another note, youtube has become one of my best friends recently. I search for "relaxation music" and I've been loving some of the results. I listen to it at work sometimes to relieve stress and calm myself. There is also a Deepak Chopra Guided Meditation that is very helpful.


"in the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you." Deepak Chopra

No comments:

Post a Comment