Saturday, February 27, 2010

Steak, Pasta, and Leeks

Ingredients:
Tinkyada pasta shells
2 medium sweet potatoes
london broil (however big or small you want)
2 leeks
1 cup gourmet or cherry tomatoes
salt
pepper
olive oil
3 cloves garlic

Boil pasta 15 minutes. Chop garlic and cut sweet potatoes in half inch cubes. Put in saucepan with 2 tbsps olive oil and 1/2 cup watercover, and cook over medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put the steak on the grill or I have a grill pan I put on the stovetop, and cook until desired tenderness. I like mine medium rare. It might take about 5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Chop and add leeks* to saucepan, cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender. Half tomatoes and add to saucepan cook about 3 minutes. You should have a little bit of a sauce by now. If it is too watery you can drain some or cook a little longer as long as it doesn't get too mushy.

When everything is ready add it all together. I like to finish it off with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, as I do with everything, but you definitely don't have to if it is a problem. I am enjoying my meal with a bag of Terra Sweets and Beets potato chips which are made of sweet potatoes and beets (I bought them from Whole Foods, Wegman's sells them, too).

*To chop leeks: cut off each end by about 1 inch. Slice vertically down the middle so you have two long halves. Rinse thoroughly. Chop each half not including the white part Although you can throw in for the stock if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment